Lake Bunyonyi

Lake Bunyonyi
View of Lake Bunyonyi from Birdnest Hotel

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Getting this off my chest!

Ok, one of my favorite things is reading the paper. Since having kids, I have not done that so much, BUT in coming here, it has been reinstated.

Can I just say, I am totally a revolutionary wanna be--I found a funny post card here that says, "I wanted to save the world, but I couldn't find a babysitter" So, true!

Anyway, I find myself ranting and raving through paper and I was reminded of when in college, every Sunday, I would splurge and get The Washington Post ($3!) I would just fuss and fuss and cry over various pictures and for a long time kept a file of photos what would impact me--usually having to do with war or natural disasters and the affect on families.

So, it was in there, buried deep and I find myself ranting, raving and praying through the paper, having since put my faith in the original revolutionary--Jesus!

Ok, so even as I am mad at Disney, China, various corrupt gov't around the world--I realize how hypocritical it would be to even post what I am ranting about--as if the U.S. Gov't doesn't have it's own corruption and problems...plus, I'm scared of liability as a true American past time!

But, it has made me aware again of what IS going to change the world? What is my role? I do think it comes back to as simple as loving your neighbor as yourself--that I can handle. If we all kept tabs on each other as neighbors, then wouldn't the world be a nicer place and there would be less room for the atrocities that are happening in Ohio, Ft. Hood, Congo, China, England, etc???

We are giving over to trying to buy more Fair Trade. My friend Helen who was just here is always such an inspiration to me--she goes to great length to be ethical in all buying and eco in all living and makes it look easy!! She was telling me about how Cadbury started as a group of Quakers back in the day who made chocolate for milk as an alternative drink to beer to combat alcoholism and they paid fair wages, etc. They are not marked fair trade b/c it's just built into their ethos--all out of a Christian conviction to love your neighbor... Then I was recently at an art gallery from the soap giant Lever--apparently from the Wirral (a peninsula near Liverpool)--who knew?--anyway, he went to great lengths to lobby for shorter working hours, built housing for his workers and gave an incredible amount of money back to the community. He built this free art gallery and believed that art was for everybody and all could profit! Click here for the Lady Lever Art Gallery. Pretty cool way to be a millionaire.

So, viva la housewife, viva staying current in news and viva somehow changing the world with it all!

No comments: