In Uganda greetings are very important as is welcoming guests. It is a very warm and friendly place and people always have time for you.
If you go to someone's house, they will say, "You are welcome." or "You are most welcome." When you go and return, our staff will say "Welcome back" and when you leave, they will say "Safe journey"
If you meet someone, a usual exchange is this
How are you?
Praise the Lord! (If they are Christians)
How is your family?
How is home?
How was the night?
Where are you coming from?
Where are you going to?
If someone gives you a ride or vice versa, they might say "Can we move together?"
At different times men who are friends hold hands as they walk along. It's very endearing and encouraging.
Several times I have been walking up the steep path to our house and a woman has offered to help me with the bags I am carrying. That is super endearing knowing how hard people work!
As a white person in a predominantly black population, I get a lot of attention. We get called to a lot- "muzungu!" or "amuzungu!!!". That is not encouraging or endearing :).
Once, I was on the main road at the junction that goes to Rwanda. A guy called to me several times, "Hey, black man!" "Hey, you, black man!" I thought at first he was offering himself or calling to someone else, but it became clear he was calling me black man. I did like that.
Another time, I was on a walk and practicing my Rukiga. I did notice that people, especially children really responded to greetings in Rukiga. The expression on children's faces are great, b/c sometimes I wonder if they really see me or just some kind of apparition that might give them money or a sweet. When I would great them in the local language, a light would go off in their eyes, like, "oh, you are a person?"
Well, on one occasion, a girl asked me in English after I greeted her in Rukiga, "Are you a muzungu (white person) or a mukiga (local tribe)?" That was funny.
They always say in Africa, you are not alone. That is true.


No comments:
Post a Comment