Lake Bunyonyi

Lake Bunyonyi
View of Lake Bunyonyi from Birdnest Hotel

Monday, October 18, 2010

Rugarama Hill

This is our hill... at the bottom. If you are facing this way, Kabale town is to the right and behind you. I am standing in front of the hospital--it's on my left.


This is a shot of a field and school that we cut through to get to town on foot. It seems to be a bit of a city park on the week-ends--lots of families and kids playing football.
A few houses behind the hospital.
The walking trail is on your right--pedestrian yield to bikes, motorcycles and cars, so this is an important path :).
A group of bicycle boda boda guys (bike taxi's) They are all over town--these are in front of the hospital and honestly, an intimidating group. I took this on zoom :). Hey, muzungu, I take you to town??? No, thanks, Bakiga, I love to walk...

Ok, so this is the point where the walking path goes on a short cut. There are short cuts all over town, but it has taken me a bit to recognize them :). to the left is walking, straight ahead, the road continues on to a steep curve.
OK, we made it up the path! Now, you see Rugarama Loop. It circles around and you would see houses, schools, church offices, the university and a few small shops and hotel.
I have turned around and am looking down the short cut.
One thing I love are the trees. This is a pine tree, but it looks like a weeping willow! Amazing. Also, did you know that banana trees sound like flags in the wind? I had no idea.

Loads of history in this area--from the ancient to the modern.

A construction sight. Loads and loads of rocks--actually, there are several rock quarries near us and people just tapping away and piling up rocks for building and such.
We have a bit of a driveway coming from our house and then it connects with the main road. This is the view from our driveway.
Our house sits on the gates of the university--if you look closely under the white sign, there is a boda boda--there is almost one or two waiting for students or faculty to transport.
Same shot, but now you can see our driveway and house on the right.
This is the scene. The hill is quite steep and the folks walk their bicycles up. Notice the motorcycle--they always coast down!!! We wondered if this would change the price since they cut the gas, but found out they charge for what it takes to come up the hill :)--no half price deals.
Here is a walking path along side our house--this is our fence to the left. I also found out this leads to another short cut to town, but according to my friend, she would never use it--too isolated. Hmm...
Here is the neighbor's house.
Neighbor's garden and hills beyond. If you are on the campus, you would get an amazing view, but we have a great forest to look at.
Another cool pine tree.
I thought these were weaver bird nests, but I discovered that they are the pine cones--funky!
Another endearing shot--the path that leads up to the library. Gorgeous trees that have these purple flowers that drape the ground--it's like a wedding.


It is more vivid in person, but I tried.
Another favorite shot on campus--lots of history.

No comments: