Another story on how unpredictable culture shock is. We had a big bookcase that did not fit in our new house. I loved this book case--one of our first full priced "adult" purchase... $100 from IKEA, not $25 from Salvation Army...so, sadly, it did not work and we had decided to donate furniture since we have been given so, so much.... Yea, Habitat for Humanity who picks up large bookcases. Two African American guys come one morning and they moved that big beast all by themselves--I couldn't believe it. The one guy was Andre the Giant size... for real--he was such a big fella. Well, AFTER they moved this big piece (it's noteworthy b/c we have moved it a couple of times and it took a LOT of effort and sometimes with a LOT of people)... anyway, the Andre the Giant guy put a smaller piece of furniture on his shoulder and immediately it brought me to this image which was in Uganda when we left and we sold furniture to some neighbors--I just cried and cried. It was a powerful connection--in the US, you don't see many people heist a piece of furniture on their shoulder and yet, it was a common sight in Uganda!!! Culture shock and sweet memory and grieving emerges...
This is a picture of the family who lived next to the Hines. Gideon is our priest at the Chapel where we attended church and pictured are three of his children, Andrew, Stephen and Winnie. Andrew is wearing the funny hat, although we all took turns. He was helping me play a practical joke on Leslie--one that has traveled all over the world and lasted 20 years since we were in college--I really got her good b/c she hasn't even thought about it in 20 years since the joke had become more between our friend Laura and me. That doesn't stop me and I still got her good!!!
So... Andrew is our funny neighbor and he is a joy to know. He loves jokes. He still emails us jokes... here is one that is really funny because it is so Ugandan and I bet anyone who lives in the inner city would appreciate the police humor!! I still can't figure out if they mean "Mr. T" from American pop culture or is it just a name they use... We miss the Gideon's family!!!
An old farmer wrote 2 his son, Mr.T
in prison.
"This year, I wont b able 2
plant
potatoes cos I can't clear the
field,
I know if u were here, u would help
me".
The son, Mr.T wrote back,"Dad,
don't even think of clearing the
field
because that's where I buried the
money I stole".
... The Police read the letter
& the next
day the whole field was cleared by
the
police, looking for the money but
nothing was found.
The following day, the son wrote
again, "Now plant your
potatoes Dad..
It's the best I can do from
here".
I miss the way the Ugandans put our two families together--they just scooped us up and we were always invited to dinners together and fellowships. As we left, we were thanked at several dinners together--here is an example of the hospital gifts to our two families. Isn't that generous, thoughtful and so tribal? Very big contrast to the western, more individual nature.



No comments:
Post a Comment