Lake Bunyonyi

Lake Bunyonyi
View of Lake Bunyonyi from Birdnest Hotel

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Wildlife


I was a little nervous coming to the Dallas area b/c growing up in Houston, we have heard nothing but that Dallas is the armpit of Texas... Must be "friendly" city rivalry.

Also, one of the authors that Aaron likes is Donald Miller. That dude has a theory that if you don't live near mountains or the ocean, places breed materialism and legalism--and mentions Dallas. So, I was a bit intimidated...

We are happy to report, we have found lots of pockets of beauty and nature to keep us encouraged! And, while I am sure that Donald Miller is right-he's an author for crying out loud--there are lots of deep, simple and thoughtful people in the Dallas area!!!

First, a random tidbit. I was waiting for Aaron to get out of an appointment--we were in downtown Dallas and I heard all this racket coming from the trees--looked out and saw these cool black masked bandit birds. The same day we saw them somewhere else--so, cool! It turns out it was the Cedar Waxwing in migration--I love it!! If you click on the link, you can actually go to an online field guide and hear them singing--the same song I heard them singing :).

Tried and failed to post some pictures from other websites--I was giving credit, but too bad.

Anyway, found a great Texas blog and some other people who noticed these cute little birds coming through our state--maybe we'll become bird watchers--like officially?


We've already talked about our yard :) Well, there is a walk that I like to take around the neighborhood--we first went that way when it snowed and just became enchanted!






I have no idea what these are--pygmy big horn sheep??? I asked this kid who was walking by me and he said deeply, "I think they are called rams." Thanks. He probably thought I am an idiot.
In with the rams is a random donkey--see, right in the middle of the concrete jungle, we get this!


1 comment:

M.J.D. said...

Great post Wendy! Cedar Waxwings are beautiful but we don't see many of them in North Carolina since they just migrate through.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology has one of the websites for bird identification.