Lake Bunyonyi

Lake Bunyonyi
View of Lake Bunyonyi from Birdnest Hotel

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Kids

So, how are the kids doing with all of this? Seemingly well, except Mallory and Emma Shae got warnings at school today. That's really the first problem! Not bad for 4 months of transition.

Emma Shae told me going to school was much better than home schooling. Thanks.

We have been very watchful and truly amazed that they seem to be thriving. We haven't gotten as plugged in at school as we usually would, but we are putting lots of time into the relationships with the Hines kids.

Micah is really in to Legos and random projects. He made our house into a city and posted signs all over the house renaming everything--he kept laughing eerily--made me think of a world domination laugh. He also drew an elaborate security system for their room--it's to the left of the door and you have to punch a code to come in or hot lava will get you. The kids each have their own hand print that allows them access to the room (yes, they continue to share one room). This came a couple of weeks after Micah had developed a charging system to coming in their room--parent tax. I keep meaning to get a system of chores and allowance back up and running!

Emma Shae has been doing well, especially considering everything. She was having trouble getting back into school (despite what she said...), but this week and last, she is all motivated. Saw that Time magazine was talking about bribing kids in school, well the opposite is happening for Emma Shae. Her teacher has been explaining that the books she is sending home cost $5 if they loose them. So, this week and last, Emma Shae has done her homework right away, "so, she doesn't have to pay $5" and sit out at recess. Fine. You go, girl!

Mallory is always full of surprises and keeping us all laughing. She can struggle with her new routine off and on and frankly, this girl is ready to just be in school with the big kids. Recently, we went for a family hike and she was so happy and excited and Micah was explaining that we were going west (I don't know that we were, but he had his very important voice on that the woods tend to bring out and he was leading us on expedition) The next thing I know Mallory has pooped out and through clinched teeth said in a low voice, "I'm tired of going west!" I quickly scooted up to the front--yikes! This was after she had already drank from the stream that we were putting our feet in--I thought Aaron was going to pass out--too much knowledge from Tropical Medicine course :). We are in the URBAN jungle...

This week, Leslie is going to do a little hour with the kids about them being in team and what to expect. I am curious to see what they say.

A few pictures...



Micah waiting his turn at an Easter egg hunt--week before Easter at our church in Houston--Windwood Presbyterian.
Our friend John has mercy on Mallory who got shy in her hunt. I love the heart of youth workers!
Having fun at the Easter egg hunt!
Micah set up all his animals and taught them school. Mallory assisting.
A much needed Spring Break--got to go to Sea World one day. For our friends from out of the country, if I could visit one city in Texas, it would be San Antonio--what a great snap shot of Texas culture and fun -- also, Sea World is such a quality park!
Feeding the dolphins.
Great to be near two families from residency who are in the Dallas area. This is a park within walking distance from our house and in yellow is Eliana and Madeleine Graves. Not pictured due to taking a snooze is baby Judson.
Dr. Seuss' Birthday celebration. Ms. Malone's mom made these for Emma Shae's class.
Aaron gets careful direction from Emma Shae
The first few weeks we were here, our friends the Graves brought over toys for the kids and one of them was a puppet show--the kids were all over it when they got home and Micah turned out to be a witty puppeteer!

First Baptist Garland had a special princess tea for the little girls. Emma Shae asked for her picture with this friend.
Our table was so cute--they took pictures of the moms and daughters, which were available right after the tea and then as the girls came in, they made the matting that would go around the picture. It was a well organized and beautiful tea.
We were so excited to go together. It was the first time we have done something with just the two of us--usually Mallory is with us! This happened to be a day of prayer for Emma Shae and then her miraculous avoidance of a bone marrow biopsy was the very next Monday. What a special day!
Valentine's princess'--Gammy gave them money and they got these outfits!
A sweet visit from Waco friends--the Wehmeyer's. Not pictured is baby Avi and her parents, but Cade and Zane and our kids are enjoying a post snow play snack.
It snowed all day this day--amazing!

First day of the new sch0ols.

2 comments:

M.J.D. said...

Beautiful! Thanks for keeping us all updated. You guys are all "brave-scared warriors"

Christy Largent said...

Hi Wendy!
It's a blast from your past!! The Lord must have known we needed to connect because today I had some help in my office and together we were cleaning things out - and my friend found your wedding invitation in my stationery box!! I couldn't believe it! I pulled it aside (I'm always doing that) and decided to google you - well, I Facebooked you first, but you weren't there (why not!!!), so I found you and Aaron together on your mission page. Oh what amazing things you have done!! Your children are just beautiful. I'd love to catch up with you. Email me at christylargent@yahoo.com or you can call at 530-229-3646. Tomorrow (Sat) I'm going to a Beth Moore live simulcast most of the day, but Sunday will be around. I'm praying for you and your family and your little daughter! What a challenge. She's fortunate God gave her you and Aaron as parents. Your blog is darling, and look forward to re-connecting! Isn't God good!!
Love,
christy :)