Lake Bunyonyi

Lake Bunyonyi
View of Lake Bunyonyi from Birdnest Hotel

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Narnia

One of the highlights of my time has been to participate in the Narnia--they graciously allowed me to volunteer--even though I got a little too excited about the walkie talkies and wearing these tabards :). Not sure if that's how you spell it or say it, but that's what I heard :).

Narnia was a Christmas performance put on by the ministry In Another Place who worked with local churches and several local ministries. It was incredible--all volunteers and the orchestration was amazing. They had schools come through during the week and then open to the public on Saturdays. They had taken over a huge church that is used for community purposes and turned it to this interactive Narnia play. The sets were amazing! They had several people rotating through the characters, each bringing their own flare and creativity to their roles.

I salut the cast and staff/volunteers of Narnia--it was such an honor to see all of it and these guys remain my heroes!

Basically, you walk into the building and immediately are greeted by people in character welcoming you from being evacuated from London to the Professor's house. You have a safety briefing and then you can either go on a trail as Lucy or as Edmund. So, when the characters talk to you, you make your decisions as one or the other. Then you walk through a wardrobe into Narnia.

If you are Lucy, you meet Mr. Tumnus, then Mrs. Beaver, then Father Christmas, see the White Witch accuse Aslan, goes to the stone table, watch the stone statues come alive to a dance and get crowned kings and queens of Narnia.

Edmund goes in after Lucy (like the book) and then meets the White Witch, Mrs. Beaver, goes to the White Witch's palace, sees the White Witch confront Aslan, goes to the stone table and then to be crowned king and queen of Narnia.

Both trails get to watch the stone table scene with Aslan before going to Cair Paravel. Both trails come out of the wardrobe again and into the Professors study where they hear the Professor summarize the book, talk about themes of the book (temptation, loyalty, hope, gifts, forgiveness, back to life and responsibility) and then discuss comparisons to the real world and the story of Jesus. Then they get to make snow flakes and write a thought on how to use their power and influence as kings and queens or a prayer.

I had several roles stewarding--I was exit steward, marquee steward and ended by running the Edmund trail. The first day I did it, I was with Jenny and she was so sharp and good and multi tasking--it was wonderful. Then I was supposed to take over and she would be my support. I panicked--I tried like heck to get her to take the walkie talkie back, but she held firm and pushed me out there. Then I was fine and happy to do it! Jenny is probably 20 years my junior, but I definitely learned from her and so grateful for her leadership skills :).

At the White Witch's castle.

John, Hannah and Jenny! These guys are with a group called Y kids that work with inner city youth among other things!

Jenny, John and a most excellent Mr. Tumnus.

The White Witch are her sledge with turkish delight. One of my favorite comments to the White Witch was from a mildly mentally retarded girl who had her eye on the witch and when she was called Edmund "brat" and get my fur mantle--she exclaimed, "Cheeky! Lazy Sausage." The girl had a big smile and seemed to enjoy being ordered around.

Mr. Tumnus at his cave.

Mrs. Beaver in her lodge.
The back of the Beaver's lodge, going to the icy waterfall and Queen's castle.
Outside of the Beaver's lodge.
Icy waterfall.
Father Christmas sledge--kids get in and get to watch part of the movie, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

The Stone Statues. This was some of the most moving of the play to me. These guys are all adults with various challenges--Down's Syndrome, etc. and they were just a delight to work with and did an amazing dance. At the end, several of the school groups that came through had severe mental retardation or autism and it was so powerful to see them come through and see the statutes as well as the dance. I would fall apart and cry every time when Mr. Tumnus would crown them as king and queen and ask them to take their rightful place. These things are such a mystery, as is much suffering, but the visual truth and the hope of heaven sure puts it all into perspective--one day!!! Notice the frozen faun in the back....

Cair Paravel
White Witch throne and castle.

Craft area and professor's study at far end--it was so cute inside, but their were people in there, so I didn't take a picture. It looked down to detail like a study!


No comments: